Blue screen, recover files

Ade_1 22:17 21 Nov 2010

Hi,

I have been asked if I can assist someone with their laptop (Dell Latitude D520) that just permanently blue screens. They want to recover their files but I am not sure on the method of doing this.

The laptop constantly blue screens and you can't get into safe mode or anything.

I can't find anything specific to be honest, I have searched for a considerable amount of time on Google but can't find an answer.

Am I right in saying you can connect the hard drive to a caddy and then to another machine and attempt to recover the files that way? I'm also presuming some form of data recovery software would be required?

I suspect the hard drive is completely gone, but not sure if the data would be at all recoverable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Aidan

Nontek 22:38 21 Nov 2010

Your assumption is correct, and a caddy is a good idea - have a look at the thread entitled "Documents and pictures gone missing" to get recovery ideas.

Jollyjohn 11:06 22 Nov 2010

If you dont have a caddy you could use a Linux live cd, I use Puppy Linux.
Download Puppy Linux and burn it to a cd, as an .iso file. This will give you a bootable cd. Boot from this cd and accept the default settings. Once it has booted and the desktop appears there is a series of icons in the bottom left of the screen. The hard drive in the laptop will be listed as sda1 - click on it to open or "mount" it
You should be able to see all the files on the hard drive - navigate to documents and settings and look for the data you want.
If you now plug in a usb stick you will be able to copy and paste the data to it.

Ade_1 12:19 22 Nov 2010

Cheers Nontek - I needed some reassurance on that! Thanks!

Interesting idea Jollyjohn, I may give that a go first and see if I can access it that way. It will certainly be a lot easier than purchasing a caddy and some data recovery software. I already have a live CD of Ubuntu so I'll try it on that.

Thanks very much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone