not sure if you can get your pc up and running sometimes. if so follow this link to a memtest download. many people on this forum have used it but i believe it takes a long time ,possibly overnight. click here
Ive just tried to do a repair following instructions from microsoft website, When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option??? but i cant see welcome to setup screen?? Ive tried pushing r during a few different things, like in setup for instance, but still no good, i know that i have 16kb of bad clusters on my hard drive, is it the cluster causing problem? If so can i fix it?
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.