Blue screen of death? please help

robbo1987 19:43 18 May 2010

Hi, a friend of mine has asked me to look at their computer as it wont boot correctly.

the computer starts up with the usual screens, and the black windows loading screen appears..(windows xp..) then the blue logging on screen appears, a blue screen appears, if you click on the link provided it will show you the message the pc displays..

click here

ive tried starting in safe mode, and the pc did boot up and start windows, so i tried a system restore but this did nothing to change matters, ive also reseated the ram as i thought this could be an issue aswell as checking that other hardware is plugged in correctly.

apparently no hardware has recently been installed or tampered with.

ive been in the bios but cant really think of anything in there that would affect boot up.

would a reinstallation of windows fix this?

thanks for you help

robbo

Devil Fish 20:05 18 May 2010

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is usually a sign of bad memory could either be the ram or the ram sockets

first port of call try reseating the ram see if that does anything

if no joy after that try taking ram out put one stick back in and boot the machine and then repeat for each stick this way you should be able to figure out wich is the faulty stick or slot

if you only have one stick of ram try it in different slots

basically mess around with different configurations to see if you can identify bad ram or slot

and even better if you have some spare ram floating around you can stick in it

hope this is of some help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 18 May 2010

If it loads in safemode but not in normal mode then its usually a driver problem.

Uninstall drivers in safe mode (one at a time) staring with graphics driver, until you find the one causing the problem.

However First try LAst Known good configuration instaed of safemode.

robbo1987 14:39 19 May 2010

I've tried loading in "last known configuration" aswell but this doesnt work either, but ill give the uninstalling drivers in safe mode a try, the last thing to be installed was a new graphics card so maybe thats causing a problem.

coincidently my own pc at home is now knackered with a similar problem. but wont load in safe mode at all and the blue screen flashes for a split second before the pc reboots and does it all again in a loop...

retep888 14:53 19 May 2010

Your friend's PC is most likely a driver software conflict but yours could be a RAM and/or HDD problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache