Blue Screen Of Death ?

Paul33 22:42 16 Mar 2007

I'm staring at a "blue screen of death" ...... its the same one I saw a few weeks back which I got rid of by re-installing Windows XP and I really don't want to go there again.

The screen states ......

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and later states ......

Technical Information:

STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X820B4E7F, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XF98EC4C2)

USBPORT.SYS - Address F98EC4C2 base at F98D1000, Datestamps 41107D62

The recent history of the PC is ......

1. Replaced hard drive with new hard drive
2. Installed Windows XP
3. Connected to Wireless Network

Its an old Packard Bell badged case with an NEC motherboard and has always been fine prior to the recent changes (1 & 2) above.

It works fine for two or three weeks and then hits this problem. I can't boot into SAFE mode as every boot method hits the BSOD.

Can anybody make sense of the error ?

chocolate cake 23:07 16 Mar 2007
  woodchip 23:23 16 Mar 2007

It's trying to tell you that it's got a USB driver problem. Also from the above link, if you have Logitech! disable them in Start\Run type msconfig go to startup tab and remove tickes from Logitech. They will still work but hot keys and buttons will not then work. But you can test and find out if that's the problem by doing the above

Paul33 10:09 17 Mar 2007

I seem to have resolved this one ..... by chance !

I removed one of the two RAM sticks and it booted fine on the remaining one. I replaced the second stick and is still okay !

I think that RAM stick must have been poorly seated.

So ..... seems that the error suggesting USB problems was actually generated by RAM issues (I never had any USB devices on board anyway) !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?