Blue Screen of Death 12 times today on Win 7

davepatrickl 15:44 22 Nov 2010

Hi,

My pc is about three years old and recently has been getting the blue screen of death the odd time. Had to work from home today and it went into overdrive, crashing 12 times (at last count). It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing - even if just one spreadsheet is open and nothing else, it is still crashing.

I installed a registry cleaner and cleaned the registry but that didn't help. I have installed little to no software over the last couple of months and have installed the few bits I had installed.

The error is as follows:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFCC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002CB79EB, 0xFFFFF88(bit missing), 0xFFFFF88003316170)

Then it starts "Collecting data for crash dump.....")

Very frustrating as the pc is still pretty quick so was hoping to get another six months out of it. Would appreciate your help.

Cheers
Dave

kidsis 16:01 22 Nov 2010

hi, can you tell me if you are able to get in to BIOS? You have to press one of the F keys (possibly F2) or even the enter or DEL key, up and down as you boot. If you can, is the hard disk recognised? Can you still boot, if so can you boot in to safe mode? If so have a look in event viewer for errors. This can be caused by hard drive problems, even memory problems. Have you backed up all important documents? If you go to the web site of the hard drive manufacturer, you can download their diagnostic program and burn it to disk (a .iso file), boot with it and test the hard drive. Also you could download memtest, burn to disk and run that on the memory.

rawprawn 16:10 22 Nov 2010

Also disconnect all your peripheries, one of them could be the cause.

Pineman100 17:18 22 Nov 2010

Just echoing what kidsis has said - it's imperative for you to ensure that you have a comprehensive backup of all your data files.

This may be the pessimistic point-of-view, but if your HDD is on the way out, you may not get too many more chances to backup.

GaT7 17:34 22 Nov 2010

See if this MS hotfix helps click here. G

davepatrickl 10:51 25 Nov 2010

Thanks guys for the advice. Am waiting for an external hard drive to be delivered so I can back up my files.

I can still boot and load the pc no problems but after anything from 5 minutes to an hour, it will just randomly crash, regardless of whether I am using it or not.

Once I have copied over the files, I will check the Bios and Eventviewer. Will try with the periperies as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone