Blue Screen Crash!!!

al7478 14:31 16 Mar 2007

I turned my pc on today and got the dreaded blue error screen. Below is the result of the error report i sent to Microsoft. I got the blue screen a few days ago and all seemed OK in a system restore in safe mode. This time all seems well after a simple restart.

I have recently installed various free security software, defragged, run ccleaner to get rid of norton, and stopped anything other than my security software from operating on startup. Can anyone help...?

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Technical Information
How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP (Q322205)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rick808 14:38 16 Mar 2007

When you uninstalled Norton did you use this - click here

If not Norton may not be completely uninstalled and causing a conflict

skidzy 14:39 16 Mar 2007

al7478 do you have a XP windows disc ? if you have your windows disc,try a repair click here

Have you checked in safemode,Device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks...if so..what driver is missing.

al7478 14:39 16 Mar 2007

I I ran that and everything seemed to work first time with it.

skidzy 14:41 16 Mar 2007

Just a quick thought,have you added any printer or similar software.This maybe driver corruption.

al7478 14:43 16 Mar 2007

yes ive got the disk that Dell supplied with xp on and a disk of the original drivers. Erm...could you remind me how to fid device manger...?

rick808 14:44 16 Mar 2007

Windows key + Pause/Break will get you to system properties then Hardware

al7478 14:45 16 Mar 2007

I've added no printer software. By the by, when i try to change the startup settings, it first tells me i have been denied access, but hen i get rid of that window and all seems well again. i have just re-enabled all strtup progs that im not 100% sure about.

skidzy 14:48 16 Mar 2007

Ok,that rules out any new hardware driver conflict.Check device manager and post back.

al7478 14:49 16 Mar 2007

sorry thats greek to me, is there o method without shortcuts, through the start menu...?

skidzy 14:53 16 Mar 2007

On your keyboard bottom right corner (the windows key) and pausebreak Far right of keyboard.
Windows key + pausebreak

or start/Right click My computer/hardware.Device manager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017