Blue Screen - Automatic Shutdown

billyglen 09:45 12 May 2010

I am unable to restart the PC (not a laptop).
I had just downloaded a video clip from You Tube on to a disk in Drive D. I was then about ot eject the disk. I happened to notice that my screen was listing two Drive D's. I clicked on the original icon & that's when the PC shutdown although the disk was ejected.
I have tried shutting down & restarting the computer
Everytime I try to restart the PC I get a blue screen message saying " a problem has been detected & Windows has shut down to protect the PC".It further tells me to check for viruses, remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.Check my hard drive to make sure it is properly configured & terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption & then restart the PC.
Tech. Info:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF88C2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I have not been able to do any of the above, partly because I dont have the know-how & also because neither the mouse nor the keyboard works with that screen.

When I start up the PC it gives me about 20 secs to choose an option such as those listed below (the up/down arrows work for this)

Safe Mode
Last good Confiuration
Start Normally
If I select safe mode it briefly shows a list each line beginning something like
multi(0)disk(0)partition
then the end of each line is a bit different
eg app patch
Windows system 32 drivers

And then the screen reverts to the original blue background fault msg I quoted at the beginning.
I'm no expert! Can you help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 12 May 2010

Assuming Windows XP?

Have you got an XP cd?

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

Choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you want to load Recovery Console).

Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

chkdsk /f

recovery console will run a disk check on your drive and hopefully fix it. When completed type

exit

remove the cd and press enter

the machine should then reboot into windows.

billyglen 16:46 12 May 2010

Hi Fruit Bat,
Thanks for replying In a bit of a rush at the moment....the PC is a Dell 5150. It came with 3 Dell CD's.One disk is titled "Drivers & Utilities". Don't know if that is same as the XP cd.I dont know how to access the system bios.The documentation that came with it is basic installation stuff, nothing more.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 12 May 2010

"Drivers & Utilities"

Is not a XP CD what are the other discs called?

billyglen 22:31 12 May 2010

The other disks are 1) Dell Colour Monitor Documentation & 2) Application for reinstalling Dell Media Experiance 3.0 Deluxe Version Software.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:58 12 May 2010

Neither any good looks like you need to down load a boot disk click here

billyglen 08:43 13 May 2010

I visited the website as you advised but unless I'm missing something this boot disk comes as a floppy disk & my Dell 5150 is not equipped to take floppy disks?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017