blue screen

toonfireman1746 15:59 22 Nov 2008

I keep getting a blue screen
It says
K mixer.sys address F12F6CCbase at F123E000 datestamp 41107d32
Beginning to dump of physical memory.

Then closes down computer, when I restart I get a black screen asking if I what to open in safe mode or normal, if I go to normal it comes back to black screen, I went into safe mode and went back to another date.
I have not loaded any new soft ware or hard ware.
any ideas

chub_tor 16:22 22 Nov 2008

Googling kmixer.sys brings up quite a few replies and it does seem to be a necessary system file that is related to the audio kernel.

It can be affected by root kit malware and you should do a malware check to see if you have been infected.

If this is clean then try running sfc /scannow to see if the system file can be repaired.

Failing that go to this Microsoft page click here where you can download the latest version of kmixer.sys.

toonfireman1746 16:52 22 Nov 2008

"If this is clean then try running sfc /scannow to see if the system file can be repaired."

how do I do this?
thanks for the advice

chub_tor 21:47 22 Nov 2008

click here for how to use scannow.

toonfireman1746 22:36 04 Dec 2008

this is happening, I have tried scannow but its asks for xp disk which I dont have

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL
Check to make sure any hard ware or soft ware is properly installed
Disable BIOS memory options such as catching or shadowing
Tech information
STOP 0x0000000A (OxF3FBFFC,OxooooooFF,0x0000000,0x80540C4F
Its doing it even when not being used

chub_tor 09:01 05 Dec 2008

Your Stop error is a driver issue and is probably related to the kmixer.sys which needs to be reinstalled. Can you borrow an XP disc from a friend?

If not there is a documented way of using sfc without an XP disc, I haven't tried it but I have taken it from a website that I Googled with your problem.

"However, by way of information, you can still run this command without using the Windows XP CD. While running the "sfc /scannow" command if it prompts for the Windows XP CD for the path of the system files, please provide the following path:

"C:\I386"

This should resolve the issue."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie