BLUE SCREEN

Snrub 15:59 16 Nov 2005

Computer behaver erratically for last two weeks when using internet exporer IE6 after updating AVG from version 7.0 to 7.1

A mix of problems:-

Internet Exploer has had to shut down.

Blue screen crashes showing following:-
1. ER_KRNL_CRASH_LOG
2. EVENT_RPCSS_SERVER_START_TIMEOUT
3. BAD_POOL_CALLER
4. Faulting application ieplore.exe,faulting module shdocvw.dll

XP System info on Internet Explorer shows missing files iecont.dll, iecontlc.dll with unavailable file ie iunit.inf

Suspect AVG update

Any solutions please???

rawprawn 16:20 16 Nov 2005

Assuming XP. Try a system file check. Start / Run / type sfc /scannow (Watch the space) click OK you will need your XP Disc

Snrub 11:42 17 Nov 2005

Thanks rawprawn, only have Evesham product recovery cd for XP. Before I try your suggestion do I need to copy hardrive? Not sure how to do this? How invasive is 'Start / Run / type sfc /scannow (Watch the space) click OK'? What will this do? Thanks again

rawprawn 12:06 17 Nov 2005

Don't worry put in your recovery disc it should work. System file check is just what it says on the tin, it doesn't change anything it simply replaces any files that are corrupt or missing. Don't type watch the space, what I meant was that there is a space between sfc and / make sure you type it correctly or better still copy this, sfc /scannow and paste it into run.

Snrub 16:22 26 Nov 2005

sorry for delay - have run sfc /scannow. I also run system recover going back over dates when new software installed. Going back to day before installing 'Google Web Accelerator' and doing system recovery my computer recovered to normal function. I also found 'event viewer' located in control pannel/administration extremely useful showing a fault 1000 which can be repaired on line via microsoft.

Once my system was repaired I loaded 'Google Web Accelerator again! only to return immdiately to crashes,freezes,shut down problems and blue screen.

So apologies to AVG which I thought was the culprit and warn about 'Google Web Accelerator' which did not suit my system.

Once again many thanks for taking an interest.

Snrub 13:57 13 Jul 2008

After months of using anti-virus/ anti spy software and almost daily use of system restore my problem seems to have been solved. I had suspected for some time that various prgrammes using plug-ins were when the problem occurred. Last week microsoft 8th July did an automatic download to improve security by making plug-ins less vunerable to attack by malicious software. Since then my computer seems to run perfectly dare I say!

rawprawn 17:25 13 Jul 2008

Glad you are sorted, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?