Blu-Ray Writers

Tonycablejr 21:29 03 Aug 2009

Hi,

i'm after getting a blu-ray writer, and was just wondering if there was a minimum spec thats required for one of these. i won't be using it to watch movies, purely to backup files.

Thanks

DieSse 21:52 03 Aug 2009

"just wondering if there was a minimum spec thats required for one of these"

I don't understand your question.

The minimum spec for a blue-ray device, or any other device for that matter - is surely that it works and does what it's supposed to?

And if it does what it's supposed to - then it meets the minimum spec. So on the supposition that any blue-ray writer writes blue-ray discs - then they all meet the minimum spec.

Tonycablejr 22:02 03 Aug 2009

ok let me put it another way, i have 2gb RAM and a AMD athlom 64 Processor 3400+ 2.19Ghz. i am running windows 7, i have about 40Gb Free space. i have spare sata slots on my motherboard. will my PC be fast enough to burn blu ray discs.

OTT_Buzzard 22:11 03 Aug 2009

will my PC be fast enough to burn blu ray discs.

Yes. But blu-ray discs really don't burn very quickly!

Tonycablejr 22:14 03 Aug 2009

as long as its fast enough to get the information from my PC to the writer without it failing due to a buffer underrun, thats all i care about. i had enough trouble with that when CD writers first came out!

DieSse 22:20 03 Aug 2009

Ah - you meant a minimum spec for your system.

I'm sure yours is plenty fast enough - but all optical writers for a long time have had buffer underrun protection (ie the ability to stop and start writing when the buffer is getting low.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?