Blown Motherboard?

ikle_pixie 20:21 01 Aug 2007

Right, friend bought his pc to me saying it wouldn't boot and was making a funny noise. When i tested it, the noise was coming from the power supply and the green light was constantly on....but then *POP* and a burning smell.
Told him to get another power supply. Tried that..nothing. Whats really wierd is the power button on the front glows green as soon as there is power and without me pressing it.. but thats all. When i asked him he said that only happens when its on.
The button and light run from the motherboard, so why is that getting power but nothing else.
Any ideas?

Ashrich 20:41 01 Aug 2007

Sounds like a big short somewhere , have a look at the back of the motherboard , if you can get the other side off , are there too many supports in situ ? Whatever , it is likely that not only would the mobo be shot but possible the processor as well . Any chance of testing the components elsewhere to see what other damage has been done ?

Ashley

donatello 20:44 01 Aug 2007

Best is advise given on here regularly.Take mainboard out of case place on a antistatic surface,wooden table etc.Remove all components except CPU,heatsink,and fan,graphics card and 1 stick of memory,clear CMOS attatch power to board and connect buzzer and either reconnect power switch leads to board or short the two power switch pins with a screwdriver This should produce a single post beep telling you board is ok.try this first.

laurie53 21:09 01 Aug 2007

Good Grief, donatello, that's major surgery condensed to four lines!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?