Blocking unwanted emails in OE

Connaught 08:15 29 May 2006

For over a year I have been receiving emails from weird names and addresses offering investment tips. I have tried tools etc in Outlook Express but still they come.

There are no fixed sources and all the names are different for instance (I have written them so that they are not recognised as clickable items):

'Andy Simes' 5gh2aC2tg8 'at' mail.ru
'Penny Kock' gwvh 'at' freudworld.com

There are dozens of different names and addresses and each time I use the blocker and delete but others keep on coming. Please can anyone tell me how I stop these short of changing my email address.

Thanks

bosmere 08:20 29 May 2006

Have you tried Mailwasher? free from click here

palinka 10:39 29 May 2006

as bosmere says, Mailwasher will help - you "train" it to recognise spam and can opt to have it deleted automatically. But the nature of spammers is that they change their addreses regularly, so you will never eliminate all of them.
Bouncing by certain methods can reveal that you exist, so it's not necessarily a good thing.
Which ISP are you using? some have good(ish) spam filters - eg. you can set it to blacklist anything not addressed to YOU at your precise email address. If your name is [email protected]..etc it will stop mail adressed to Blogs; or bleggs; or EBloggs; or Blugs. etc, etc.
I use Pipex, but I also use a forwarder (Bigfoot)and the address I give my friends is [email protected] By setting spam filters on Bigfoot to throw out anything "Not to me" I've stopped spam addressed to [email protected]; [email protected]; etc etc. I've done similar things with the filters available at Pipex, so by belt & braces methods i've eliminated most and in addition I've taught Mailwasher to at least flag-up the rest.
It may sound like a lot of work, but it isn't really and it will cut down the amount of spam you get.
To find out who the mail is addressed to (ie has the spammer got your correct address) right click the "From/Subject" line in your in box then click Properties and then details.

palinka 10:41 29 May 2006

you can train filters to reject emails with particular titles or particular words in the body of the email - anything with "Investment" for example.

Connaught 12:43 29 May 2006

Very grateful for all your help. Have downloaded Mailwasher but seem to violate something as I proceed with installation. I am sure it must help a great deal. I like the idea of it being bounced back to sender.

My email is used for friends and business and difficult to change. I will have another crack at it!

Thanks again.

johnnyrocker 12:48 29 May 2006

"I am sure it must help a great deal. I like the idea of it being bounced back to sender."

a pointless exercise as mainly originating addressess are usually false and as posted earlier can validate your e mail address, plus it adds to all the crap generally floating about already.

johnny.

jarani 13:07 29 May 2006

i agree with johnny - sending it back only validates your e-address - I go to message > block sender - it keeps it under control and most are placed in my seperate junk folder where i clear it once a day - with glee - jarani

Stuartli 13:10 29 May 2006

Try Mozilla Thunderbird. It has a Junk filter which can be "trained" to instantly divert such rubbish to a Junk folder.

You can easily import your IE configuration to Thunderbird either during or after installing it.

If you do decide to adopt T'bird, keep OE as the Default e-mail program until you have installed T'bird and configured it. See:

click here

Connaught 01:10 30 May 2006

Thanks. I now see the disadvantage of returning to sender.

I have been using the message/block sender for some time but it seems they are constantly regenerating themselves. I dont get the point really. Why should they be sending me free investment tips? On the face of it the info seems quite genuine but I am not interested.
I'll have a go at the Thunderbird too.

Very grateful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?