Blocking Streaming Media

bolajiwds 17:56 13 Feb 2007

Hello everyone,
I have a cybercafe and I want a situation whereby streaming media from the net, such as video and music could be stopped. Clients use this to eat away the bandwidth and it's actually affecting the business.

Could anyone please tell me where I can get a software or anything that could solve this problem. It will only stop any Internet or Website streaming of video and music and not the one playing or stored on the stystem.

Thanks for your unceasing help

recap 18:33 13 Feb 2007

Hi bolajiwds,

What is the setup in the cybercafe, do you have a server, or are the pc's on a workgroup and are they running Windows XP Pro?

bolajiwds 17:05 14 Feb 2007

Thanks recap.

There's a server and workstation are connected on server. All workstations are running windows XP. Thanks for your quick and timely response.

Yes, I created a workgroup name for them on the network.

I don't mind installing the software on each and every workstation in the cafe.

I just realized that listening to music and watching video killing the bandwidth for other customers. I will be happy if I can get anything to block streaming audio and video wether from the Internet Explorer or any Music Application. Thanks for everything again and again.

bolajiwds 17:10 14 Feb 2007

At the sametime, visiting such website that streams should be allowed. Please I really NEED YOUR HELP.

recap 10:18 19 Feb 2007

On the Server, open the OU that is controlling the end user. Navigate to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Internet Explorer disable any options in Internet Explorer that you require.

To create an Organizational Unit(OU), Right click the Domain select New/OU, giving the OU a relevant name.

Create a Group Policy: Right click the OU select Properties/Group Policy (tab)/New (button). Give the GP a relevant name, making sure the GP is highlighted click 'Edit'.

click here it may help you to navigate and decide which options to disable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?