Blocking specific urls at router level

ritchbartlett 17:51 08 Feb 2014

If I want to allow access to a domain but want to block access to a specific page of that domain, via the router, how can I do that.

My router has port forwarding and a firewall which I'm proficient with using but I'm wondering if I upgraded to a superior router I might have success. i currently have the Sky SR101 stock router.

I am aware I can block domains on a PC via the hosts file, and also through the router but let's suggest I want to allow access to www.facebook.com but block access to www.facebook.com/fredsmith (apologies to any Fred Smiths out there!)

I'm not aware of any way this can be done. I know there are add-ons for firefox which I also currently use but the main thing is that I would need to block it from access via apps on an android phone.

I'm fairly confident that without installing a firewall on the phone (which would require rooting which I'm not prepared to do) that it's only domains or keywords that can be blocked.

I know this is the case for routers, hosts file and OpenDNS which is another thing I've considered using. There must be a way to block very specific IPs or urls surely. In short, I have children who are quite IT literate (not as so as me luckily) and I want COMPLETE control of who views what via my router or network.

It has to be able to apply to apps on an android phone. I have the IP addresses already from packet sniffing.

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?