Blocking msn messenger temporally

philharris433 11:08 15 May 2007

Is there any way to block msn messenger so that it cannot be run at certain times. My daughter constantly talks to friends when she should be working and its driving me mad.

Thanks

Technotiger 11:17 15 May 2007

Hi, you may be able to do this in IE Tools>Internet Options>Content ... though I am not completely sure about setting your own timings, you can certainly turn access to MSN Site on or off - with a Password of your own choosing.

philharris433 11:29 15 May 2007

hi, im not really bothered about timings I just want to be able to stop it when I want. Thanks for that but will this work through running the msn messenger program?

philharris433 11:31 15 May 2007

hi, im not really bothered about timings I just want to be able to stop it when I want. Thanks for that but will this work through running the msn messenger program?

Technotiger 11:48 15 May 2007

Not sure what you mean 'through running the msn program' ...

One uses the Content options in IE as above - though I have never actually used these options myself.

Ptolemy 13:30 15 May 2007

You can go into your firewall's program/application control and block them (or delete them and "deny" next time they come up). I've done this because I don't want Messenger starting in association with the Windows Desktop Mail application and it doesn't cause any problems.

dagbladet 13:36 15 May 2007

Interesting

I too had a barney with my teenage daughter last night about her MSNing when she was supposed to be 'researching'. I threatened to uninstall MSN. However, she's not daft and it's not beyond her to download, re-install it and carry on. Furthermore she quite rightly pointed out that, that would cost me a fortune in top ups for her mobile-phone as opposed to free MSN.

Ptolemy 13:39 15 May 2007

Sorry, not very clear. When I say "them" I mean the firewall entries associated with Messenger. If in doubt delete all the firewall entries for anything you suspect then try starting messenger and denying whatever comes up.

If you daughter has any PC sense she will probably figure it out quite quickly.

Another option could be to go into the Messenger program file folder and rename the .exe (i.e. messenger.exe to xmessenger.exe) which will stop the desktop shortcut find the executable. Note that you will have to do this for whichever MSN/Windows live messenger is the culprit and the old Messenger (C:\Program Files\Messenger) that comes with XP.

recap 13:40 15 May 2007

If you are using XP and your daughter has a restricted user account then she would not be able to install any software as these rights are for Aministrators only.

dagbladet 13:46 15 May 2007

recap, noted, currently just one account.

dagbladet 13:49 15 May 2007

Don't get me wrong. She gets a lot of pleasure out of MSN and it probably saves me a fair bit on the phone bill. However, as the OP says, I wish I could temporarily restrict it without actually uninstalling it, or hovering over her with a cricket bat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?