Blocked print head nozzles

Brice 10:48 02 Nov 2008

Hi everyone
Hope one of you out there can help with this query.
Just bought a Canon Pixma iP 4500 as I had to discard my last iP 4300 after 2 years only due to the blocked print head nozzles. Tried everything to clear the problem but to no effect. Anyway I am going away for 6 weeks in December and would like to know how if there is a way of preventing the same thing happening to this printer due to the lack of regular use.
Many thanks in anticipation

rawprawn 10:54 02 Nov 2008

You could try wrapping them in clingfilm.
Usually warm water unblocks them.

howard64 14:28 02 Nov 2008

if you simply shut off the printer before shutting off the pc the heads should be correctly parked and 6 weeks should not be a problem.

David4637 14:44 02 Nov 2008

If you shut off the printer for 6 weeks, I would guess you will have a partial/blocked printer head.I reckon to print a small test colour pattern ONCE PER WEEK and have had a clear nozzle check very week. In the past a 2 week print cycle caused a poor nozzle check, resulting in a new print head.
Consider taking the carts out and running hot water thr' the head caps and then wrapping it in cling film when water runs clear. David

howard64 08:59 04 Nov 2008

I asked my supplier what to do with a dried up printhead and they suggested putting the cartridge in a quarter inch of hot tapwater for 5 minutes then drying it before reinstalling. It worked for 1 cartridge I had.

Brice 21:27 07 Nov 2008

Hello Guys
Many thanks to each one of you for your suggestion & advice. Shall bear them in mind .Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone