Novis 11:29 19 Jun 2003


What is the programme that will allow me to adapt the screen so that I'm not blinded by the bright backgrounds &c of most applications?

I use the appearance options in MS windows, but that doesn't solve the problem for me of the brightness of Outlook Express or most internet sites.

I've been told of software used by games players to confugre the look of their games:

1) what is it called
3) is it expensive
2) where can I get it
4 will it work?!

Thanks - Novis.

  graham√ 11:38 19 Jun 2003

Does your monitor have different settings for text and games? This is shirley a question of adjusting the contrast and brightness.

  Totally-braindead 11:50 19 Jun 2003

If adjusting the contrast/brightness controls do not help you perhaps consider an anti glare screen but as Graham points out adjusting the monitor controls should sort it out. Also as an afterthought think about resiting your computer monitor if you can.

  Belatucadrus 11:53 19 Jun 2003

Most of the software you refer to is supplied with the graphics card, but you could try click here it's a bit of freeware to adjust your gamma settings. I do however agree with graham√ ,check your screen contrast and brightness as this is likely to give a better result.

  leo49 13:25 19 Jun 2003

You can change in Windows[via Desktop properties]the window properties to any colour you want - my OE,Explorer,Word etc are all a shade of duck-egg blue as I dislike the white glare.

  hugh-265156 13:47 19 Jun 2003

try ticking high contrast in control panel/accessability options/display.

  Novis 12:39 21 Jun 2003

The reason I asked, guys, is I've been told that such software <B>does</B> exist. I run a Compaq Presario 3060 on Windows 98 - some of the which options proposed are not relevant to me. I;ve made the all the modifications I can to the Apperance - this doesn't change the window when I;m on the Web being blinded by the light backgrounds of most webpages.

More suggestions, please.

  Totally-braindead 12:48 21 Jun 2003

Like the others the only software I have seen which does this sort of thing is the software you get from your graphics card manufacturer, for example I have an ATI graphics card and it has its own software which can alter colours brightness etc. The software is also available for download from ATI but if you don't have an ATI graphics card then it simply won't work. Is your monitor an old one, perhaps it might be worthwhile to look at renewing it

  Belatucadrus 16:55 21 Jun 2003

Get your friends to be more precise, name the software and maybe we can find it or something like it, also post the address of one of these pages maybe it will prompt some relevant suggestions after we've had a look.

  Jester2K II 17:02 21 Jun 2003

Have you tried the brightness / contast controls on the front of your monitor??

I assume by "I;ve made the all the modifications I can to the Apperance" you mean within Windows itself??

Are there no controls on the front of the monitor itself?? Maybe hidden behind a panel??

What does"some of the which options proposed are not relevant to me." mean?? Which options and why??

  Belatucadrus 17:18 21 Jun 2003

If you've tried DarkAdapted then look at click here colorific and 3d deep are sometimes boxed with graphics cards. 3d deep on 30 day trial, but neither cheap to buy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?