Blank System Restore PLUS WLM

L_Driver 15:19 23 May 2008

Hi, I`m hoping VOG reads this. As per another thread I am getting a blank Sys Restore screen plus Win Live Mail failing to load ( msmail.dll failed to initialise ). The other thread refers to an MS article which has a number of solutions none of which worked for myself. When I look at the 3 registry entries referred I can indeed change them as per instructions ( Default changed ), however there is no reference to "threading model" in my registry. Any ideas VOG ?

L_Driver 12:06 24 May 2008

I have raised an issue re Sys Restore + WLM but I think the problem lies in my browser ( IE7 ).
When I compare Advanced settings with my laptop there is no reference to "Microsoft VM" .. This is what the issue is ( I think ). I have "lost" Microsoft VM ( java compiler ?? ). What can be done about this ? Ta for any replies.

VoG II 12:42 24 May 2008

Can you post a link to your previous thread?

L_Driver 13:10 24 May 2008

VoG, I`ll tell you exactly what is happening on my desktop.
Applications that use Javascript ( eg Encyc Britannica and possibly the System Restore GUI ) are either giving script errors or loading blank pages .. Sys Rest presents a blank page ). I compared my IE7 setting with Lap and discovered no ref to Java VM. I managed to find a site to d/load MS Java VM and it seemed to install OK ( at any rate the option is there in IE advanced ).
I am almost sure this is a Javascript issue. Hope
you can help ( you certainly have in the past ).
Thank you

VoG II 13:13 24 May 2008

Try this click here

L_Driver 13:39 24 May 2008

VoG, I have previously tried that cos I saw a prob from another user you had guided to the article. I re-registered jscript.dll and it suceeded in doing so. I looked in the registry and the entries referred are OK in my registry ( values are correct ). Ta for the input VoG but that possible solution ( which worked for the other guy )does not seem to do the trick here.

L_Driver 13:56 24 May 2008

VoG, a bit more ( perhaps ) useful info.In logging in to my banking site I got a message stating "Javascript may be turned off". As stated earlier the Advanced setting in ref to Microsoft VM .. JIT compiler is ticked ( as per my laptop setting ). Am I overlooking something ?? Is there perhaps a missing add-on needed by MS VM ???

VoG II 14:00 24 May 2008

Try installing Microsoft VM as per click here

L_Driver 14:51 24 May 2008

VoG ta for any help given. I had already d/loaded from that site. It did no good. Prob now solved. What I did was this..
Went to MS site and clicked on d/load of IE7 ( which I already have installed ). Anyway d/load went OK BUT .. when I launched IE it came up version 6 !!! ???? The advanced pane shows not only Microsoft VM but also Java(Sun) vers 2 ( which is ticked for use ). Have not a clue why IE6 installed but at any rate things appear OK for example Sys Restore displaying OK and no page errors from web sites. PC`s are an enigma are they not ? Ta again for contributing VoG, I very much appreciate it.

L_Driver 18:27 31 May 2008

Just as an addendum to this.I also logged an issue re Windows Update Not Displaying. I believe that issue AND this one likely caused by XP SP3 upgrade. At any rate I experienced a number of issues which were related to registry permissions and several sources have informed me that SP3 has indeed caused registry issues for some users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?