Blank screen on start up

maggic50 22:37 31 Aug 2008

My pc starts up as normal but slow, the desk top wallpaper is there, but no start,no task bar, no icons. I cannot get task manager. The message is ExplorerExe application errorOxco150002 and rundll32exe. I have tried starting in safe mode but no luck there either and I cannot open 'run'. My pc was working fine prior to this, it just froze when on the internet and has been like it since. I am using an old pc at mo. I do not have the Windows XP disc to reinstall as it was already installed when bought Computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 31 Aug 2008

will it bot to a command prompt?
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

maggic50 23:10 31 Aug 2008

Thank you for you quick response, I have had to switch the pc off so I can use this one! But I will print out your reply and try it first thing tomorrow morning. Let you know the outcome. Cheers....

maggic50 23:46 01 Sep 2008

Hi
I did the above, when I opened in safe mode - command prompt. it says documents and settings. I followed instructions but the list was not as you described and impossible to do anything. I have been told this is probably due to a virus. Do you think it is time to call a technician?????

hiwatt 23:55 01 Sep 2008

Try accessing safe mode and choosing "last known good configuration".Might work might not.

maggic50 00:17 02 Sep 2008

Tried that! no luck.

paretonpoulo 01:12 02 Sep 2008

enter safe mode and in the message which will come up click NO in order to restore at an earlier point.
then you will have to choose the date available. This worked for me a couple of times. at least i got the time to backup before i format..
good luck

maggic50 17:42 02 Sep 2008

Hi
No question came up. Just goes straight to trying to open and a message "Application failed the initialize properly (0Xco150002) click ok to terminate application.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 02 Sep 2008
  maggic50 18:11 02 Sep 2008

thanks for the link. however, it says to re-install windows xp pro, but when i bought the pc - Win xp (legal) was already installed and i do not have the disc as it was built by a internet company. !!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 02 Sep 2008

Do you have the serial number for the XP on the machine?

If so borrow a XP CD and do a repair
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?