Blank screen and no post signal

bigggles 21:48 27 Feb 2008

I help out at a local charity and one of their PCs was behaving strangely (Win XP home on a peer to peer network) amd I volunteered to assist (mistake!) The PC was attempting to send emails to Germany and the screen filled with Norton's AV scan block until disconnected from the internet.

So - downloaded Spybot, deleted the few files found and ran the Norton scan - discovered trojan.pandex and was preparing to delete it and congratulate myself on solving the problem - when a message appeared briefly "Out of timing" or similar and screen blanked out.

Now, any boot produces a black screen, no Post sound and can't reach safe mode - therefore a useless PC. Any suggestions for diagnosis and fix?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:01 27 Feb 2008

Out of timing

will be a graphics/ monitor problem problem.

How about resetting the BIOS to default by using the clear cmos jumper or by removing the cmos battery for a few minutes.
Then see if it will reboot.

pehaps an XP repair may then be in order.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

bigggles 11:29 28 Feb 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat, reset BIOS but no improvement.

The PC was donated to the charity a few years ago, hence no original disc. Can I use any other XP CD or does it have to match the make and model?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone