blank screen

mw_69 14:42 17 Jan 2008

hi ppl please can someone help, my computer turns on runs through its bios then stops and the screen goes blank. i have looked up on works comp for advice but also need bit of help from expert as i am still a beginner. of what i have read is that it could be my graphics card/motherboard/hard drive, i am going to reboot with the back up disc to see if that works. if it was a virus which is the best anti virus to get because all i was using was virgins pc guard which probably wasn't the best idea but thought it would be ok.
any suggestions or tips to prevent this from happening again and how to sort it would be much appreciated. thanks

xania 15:04 17 Jan 2008

If you are getting the beep which indicates that POST has completed correctly, then I would suspect a Windows problem rather than hardware. Continually press F8 once that beep occurs and you should get a list of options. Select the entry that loads the version which last loaded successfully - if that fails, try again and select Safe Mode (this will list a load of files then pause for quite a while - about a minute - so be patient).

mw_69 08:56 18 Jan 2008

thx for your reply but that didn't work, there is no beep after turning on. it just runs through computer as normal start up( black screen with th list of compoments in white writing) then just goes to a blank screen instead of beeping at the end and windows loading up. won't reboot either. all i can get up is my bios when i press f2 and when i press f8 i get my hard drive and dvdrw drive up and thats it but won't let you do anything else. really stuck to know wat is wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone