blank screen 1

valkatie 18:48 08 Apr 2010

Have tried going into Safe Mode. When I do I get a list of items, for eg multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)oartutuib(1)\WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys and there it sits and sits and sits is this right?

mfletch 18:58 08 Apr 2010

Please stay with your original post

click here

Or it will get confusing

Just copy and paste your message into the original post

MAT ALAN 19:00 08 Apr 2010

The error suggests these files are corrupt or missing you will need to do a repair

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 08 Apr 2010

List list n safe mode is of the drivers that have correctly been started.

I.e Mup.sys is the last one that worked the next driver is the one that has failed.
In my experience, I have never found that the mup.sys driver is actually the cause of the problem but replacing it with a known good uninfected version won't hurt if just to exclude that possibility. Also, disabling the mup.sys driver by using the recovery console normally does not help either. Windows will then just hang at the driver that loads prior to mup.sys.

The main reasons for this Windows XP boot hang or alleged mup.sys issue are:

Hard disk failure or corruption
A corrupted registry or registry hive
New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly
New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing
The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or (rare) needs to be updated
The power supply is marginal in output or failing (Common per user feedback)
BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data
Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.

In my experience, I have never found that the mup.sys driver is actually the cause of the problem but replacing it with a known good uninfected version won't hurt if just to exclude that possibility. Also, disabling the mup.sys driver by using the recovery console normally does not help either. Windows will then just hang at the driver that loads prior to mup.sys.

Have you got a XP CD or a boot disk? if so
boot to recovery console and run chkdsk /f
This will most likely fix the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?