Blank pages from printer

Umbra 23:01 06 Jan 2006

Window XP
HP DeskJet 5552

I've been printing ok until a week or so back when for no reason I can think of I cannot print from any programme, documents or graphics.
The HP Test Print works ok.
I've downloaded the latest drivers.
I've tried from both Parallel and USB connections.

From Word, Wordpad, Paint, PSP, I hit the "Print" buttons and get the pop-up telling me that it is printing to USB or LPT1 and the printer whirrs away, but produces only blank sheets of paper.
I have a couple of times successfully printed using the echo command from the Command Prompt to lpt1.

Any ideas please? The last thing I can remember printing was a multipage manual for Pirates of the Carribean which printed with no problem.

My bones tell me this is a WinXP OS problem, and that the print instructions are maybe corrupt. If this is so, any ideas how I mend that?

Thanks for any help.

Carl

spuds 23:13 06 Jan 2006

You have installed the latest drivers, and checked the usb/parallel connections, so as you say,that only leaves WinXP. Have you look in control panel, and checked if the printer is still ticked as the default printer!.

You could: click here

Umbra 00:03 07 Jan 2006

Hi Spuds,Thanks for your rapid response.
Yup! First thing I checked when I switched cables.
Also checked that printer points to correct port.
Your link sadly is no help as it doesn't reference my printer.
This hinges on the fact that the printer produces paper, but blank. So I reason that the programme I am trying to print from is sending the message to the printer to get ready, but is not sending any data to print.
I cannot even print from Adobe, although the print I think I last did was a pdf format.
Any other ideas...all welcome, none rejected.

Carl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017