Blank Monitor

LABMAN 11:16 03 Oct 2006

Hi Folks,

A friend is having problems with her PC and I'm looking for some advice.

Pc was working last night but when powered up this morning everything starts up but the monitor shows nothing on it, the power light turns green and the screen is white as opposed to a dark/dead screen.

Shes checked everything is connected and tight and all seems fine, both inside and outside the case, shes going to try and swap the graphics card over later today but I'm looking for some ideas to help her out after bragging so much about how good you lot are (crawling over now...lol) seriously all and any advice welcome people.

Cant tell you much about the PC except, Windows XP, Athlon XP (2600 i think) and a sepeparate graphics card....not on board graphics.

Belatucadrus 11:45 03 Oct 2006

She appears to be going about this the right way as it's most likely either a duff graphics card or a dead monitor. Pin down the faulty component and replace it.
Is it CRT or flat screen ?

LABMAN 18:03 03 Oct 2006

Hi Belatucadrus I'm sorry for the delay in getting back as I posted at work this morning and then couldn't get back on.

It's a CRT monitor, latest info I have she has tried a second monitor with the same result so it looks as if the monitor can be ruled out, shes also saying that as the pc is starting up shes got no keyboard control as she was trying to start in either safe mode or at least to access the bios.....any more sugestions are more than welcome.

Belatucadrus 19:26 03 Oct 2006

Well the AGP card wouldn't affect the keyboard, so it could be a motherboard problem, but it looks like it's going to need the hands on approach. Diagnosis at this range is just going to be guesswork.

LABMAN 22:31 03 Oct 2006

Thank you fpr your time Belatucadrus, my friend hasn't been able to solve it just now and can't lay her hands on another graphic card so shes had to send it up to her brother to test on his PC as they are both the same machines and same set ups.

I've passed your comment about the motherboard on and as you can imagine it's gone down a lead ballon if that is the problem, I will for the time being tick this as resolved just to close it down and once again thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?