blackness after windows screen

Newuser3605 14:32 25 Apr 2009

Hello,
I had a message that my computer wouldn't start because hal.dll was missing. Using another hard drive, I copied and pasted it into the system 32 file.
Now my computer gets as far as the Windows screen just fine then goes black with the mouse pointer only showing. In safe mode I get the same black screen with pointer with the safe mode sign in each corner.
Has anyone got any ideas? Many thanks.
I have tried using restore to last time it worked.

rawprawn 14:43 25 Apr 2009

Can you boot with Windows CD and then try System Restore?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:53 25 Apr 2009

You cannot cop HAL from another computer as he HAL file contains details of the hardware for the machine the operating system is installed on.

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

kidsis 15:14 25 Apr 2009

Fruit Bat, in Option 1 what does the first line do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 25 Apr 2009

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini

Remove the attributes of the Boot.ini file, this file is a hidden system file that is read only.
-H unhides it
-R means you can now edit it
-S means it is no longer "locked" by windows

kidsis 15:40 25 Apr 2009

thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?