black sreen after using xp restore

Dave.S 17:52 19 Jan 2005

Hi, I have just used "Restore" in windows xp home edition.(on a different computer) Everything seemed to go well but now when it boots up I just get a black screen, the only thing visible is the mouse pointer. The same thing happens in safe mode and trying to boot to a command prompt just starts in safe mode. I don't really want to lose all my programs and settings,so i don't want to do a clean install, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

VoG II 17:54 19 Jan 2005
  Dave.S 18:13 19 Jan 2005

Thanks for the link, but i do get to windows xp logo up and it seems to go further than that. The mouse pointer moves but i cannot do anything else...

Androcles 19:24 19 Jan 2005

You could try this dave:-click here;en-us;304449&Product=winxp
How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP when you get into system restore from the command prompt undo the restore.
You could also have a look at this:-click here
No system startup after WinXP logo screen.
It could be your graphics card.Regards.

Dave.S 20:18 20 Jan 2005

Thanks VoG™ & Androcles, Tried all these solutions, but did not work, I could not boot to a command prompt, it just went to safe mode (black screen with white mouse pointer) anyway have bitten the bullet and now done a clean install. Did read somewhere that the system files must have been corrupt. Thanks anyway.

Dave s.

Technotiger 20:26 20 Jan 2005

Hi, if your clean install still leaves you with the same problem, I would suspect Graphics Card problem - just a thought.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?