? in black square in system tray - what is it?

bamfiesler 12:27 17 Oct 2009

I have recently noticed an icon in the system tray that I don't recall seeing before. It appears right at the far end - the right hand side - when I expand the unsed icons button. Hovering over it, it is shown as 'DOUBLE-F2LRP9ZQ(c039)'. The 'DOUBLE' part I recongnise as part of the hyphenated name I gave the PC, but double clicking on this does nothing, neither does exiting it.

I am also having major spikes in CPU usage evry 14 seconds and after doing two system restores these have become more frequent. Haven't done a virus check yet, but wondered what the first issues is and where it's connected to the spikes.

Newuser939 12:34 17 Oct 2009

It's not BT Broadband Desktop Help is it? Try right clicking and see if that gives you an option to open it.

bamfiesler 12:43 17 Oct 2009

Ahh... that's what it is, I recall now! It doesn't do anything if I right click it.

The spikes are bothering me more: the curros goes flying off the screen during those spikes.

bamfiesler 12:47 17 Oct 2009

In fact opening BT BDH from the start menu doesn't do anything either!! Weird.

Newuser939 12:47 17 Oct 2009

Might be worth uninstalling the Desktop Help - I've never found it all that much help anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?