black screens and choices-what do i do?

trv4n 23:00 11 Nov 2008

Hello, i have recently got a new PC.IE kept telling me it had stopped working.I use AOl on Vista home premium.I updated m/s updates and it requested a restart. It was not loading up.I pressed the restart button and it gave me.---
windows failed to start.A software change could br the cause.It gave me these q's
1. Insert window installiaon disc and restart your pc and then press repair

or choose:safe mode/safe with command/last known config & start windows normally.
I have chosen the last two. each time it does not boot up-still after 10 mins+.
Is the disk time the only way?
Will this wipe off everything I have just installed? help

tullie 23:04 11 Nov 2008

Not with a repair it wont.

woodchip 23:08 11 Nov 2008

A restore disc will wipe all your Operating System Partition and put it back to the time you bought the Comp

trv4n 23:09 11 Nov 2008

thank you for your reply.
do i just put in the gold windows vista disk?

woodchip 23:10 11 Nov 2008

You Have to use a Full Operating System CD to do a Repair, this only repairs OS and does not touch your files

trv4n 23:13 11 Nov 2008

i have the win vista,intel mother board disk,nvidia graphics card disk that came with the pc. Is this one of those that is needed?

trv4n 23:22 11 Nov 2008

I have put the win vista disk in and the previous screen appears, pressed to start normally and black boot up screen appears and no sound of disk spinning just the green lines in the usual field.
any more advice?

trv4n 23:28 11 Nov 2008

pressed safe mode with networking and now it seems to be stuck with with loads of 'loaded windows \systems 32drivers ???????

woodchip 23:37 11 Nov 2008

It may still be trying to load, If you can get into safe mode you could run system restore to before problem

trv4n 23:44 11 Nov 2008

just done a system restore in safe mode-forgot about that one. Gone back to as it was before the download.
As i am having problems with IE that keeps shutting down, if i put the Win Vista disk in will this repair it automatically?

I also have real player error pngu3266.dll that keeps appearing on start up any suggestions. sorry to be a nuisance. May have to look tomorrow my time is up.Look forward to your replies.thnks

woodchip 23:53 11 Nov 2008

No, I would say the CD you have is a Restore CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?