black screen boot

bigbill13 16:19 02 Jan 2011

hi booted up pc came up loading windows and then went to black screen. Checked in bios all drives are disabled with no way to enable any ideas thanks

Diemmess 16:26 02 Jan 2011

Two things to try

In the switched off state, disconnect the mains plug, press and hold the reboot switch for 20 seconds..... then try a normal switch on.

Second idea - since you can enter the BIOS routine try reset to factory defaults, then save and exit.

bigbill13 16:34 02 Jan 2011

hi tried that nothing works on my pc even the usbs are disabled,tried safe mode wont let me the usbs have power but put in a portable hd its blocked straight away never seen this before could i have a fried hd thanks bigbill13

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 02 Jan 2011

all drives are disabled with no way to enable

Make sure IDE or SATA controller are enabled

bigbill13 10:44 03 Jan 2011

tanks for your reply is it possible for the settings to change on there own never touched anything in bios just looked at the boot sequence and like i say all drives disabled could a virus cause this many thanks bigbill13

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:42 03 Jan 2011

BIOS virus very rare
CMOS battery failing can cause loss f data retention in BIOS how old is the machine and do you totally detach from mains every night?

bigbill13 12:28 03 Jan 2011

Hi,the pc is 18 months old,is not dissconneted from mainson a night but the power supply is on its own switch thanks bigbill13

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?