Black Screen

Furkin 09:07 22 Dec 2008

Sometimes when I boot my Acer T120 Desktop, I only get a black screen.
My morning routine is, turn machine on - into kitchen to make tea.
Then catch up on any overnight stuff on the machine or start whatever.
Sometimes - not often - but sometimes, all I have waiting for me is a black screen. The mouse moves the curser,,,, but they don't do anything.
I usually ctrl+alt+del and go to ShutDown > restart,,,, & all is well.
Not life threatening - again - but a bit annoying,,,,
and how does it know to do this usually when i need to get on their pretty quick ?
Cheers

chub_tor 09:56 22 Dec 2008

Intermittent faults on boot up are notoriously difficult to diagnose, they can be caused by memory, hard drive, processor or motherboard as well as other hardware or software driver problems.

It might be a good idea that instead of going into the kitchen to make a cup of tea that you watch your machine boot up. That way you might hear some beeps or see messages on the screen that would indicate the point at which the machine ceases to boot and stops at the black screen.

Furkin 11:38 22 Dec 2008

Cheers Chub - so obvious,,,,
,,,as usual, cos sods law dictates, it never happens when I do that,,,, maybe the answer is to sit there every time I boot up - who needs tea first thing in the morning anyway ?

((once or twice, the boot-uo does get a bit further on [hope this dosn't confuse matters] in that I get the desk-top, whick looks normal,,, but like the black screen - it's frozen. The cuser will move - but not operate anything))

I was rather hoping that it was/is a known fault - that could be recitified.

Thanks again Chub - will keep a better eye on it

F

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?