Black Screen....

NateGDawg28 17:57 02 Jul 2006

When booting up, my monitor displays everything perfectly, BIOS, Safe Mode, etc., but when I boot into windows, the xp logo appears, then the screen goes black at the welcome screen. Usually I can resolve this by restarting the computer or booting into safe mode first and then rebooting. Any ideas? I just installed an NVidia geforce 6200 video card in my pc, and yes, the old card worked fine.
Specs: Dell Dimension 4600
2.8ghz P4
1ghz DDR RAM
SGI LCD 19" Monitor with SGI Multi-link adapter

?.nl 18:28 02 Jul 2006

Have you got the latest drivers for the new graphics card?

NateGDawg28 18:32 02 Jul 2006

I've got all the latest drivers, I've even tried some of the beta software, I've uninstalled all previous drivers before installing this card, I've changed multiple settings in my BIOS to get it to work, but to no avail.

woodchip 18:33 02 Jul 2006

As above i would say it's a Driver Problem. You could do some investigating in MSCONFIG by turning things off. Then reload them one at a time and try comp

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 02 Jul 2006

How long do you wait on the black screen?

Boot it up and go and make a cup of tea you may be susprised as it may come out of the black screen after about 10 mins. after that it will boot fine next time.

NateGDawg28 21:13 02 Jul 2006

Fruitbat: I don't wait too long at all, but what exactly am I waiting for? While I've been sitting at the computer I could randomly click my mouse around and actually login to windows accidentally, I just can't see anything on the monitor. I'll give it a try:)
Woodchip: What things should I be turning off and on? I mainly know how to use msconfig for halting malicious processes, but I don't know much otherwise.

woodchip 21:54 02 Jul 2006

That's what I mean turn all off to try it, if you cannot get to windows just Start in safe mode and put tick back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?