Black screen????

dazza39 09:20 03 Nov 2003

It would appear that when i switch my PC on i get as far as the black screen with a cursor in the top left hand corner,and no windows start up?,have tried a boot disk and tried going in to safe mode and i can't even do that?,tried running the setup again but this was being read as if i was loading an OS for the first time?,could it be my hard drive is dead?.Any ideas guys.
I have WIN98SE.

Stuartli 10:26 03 Nov 2003

Does the monitor show a green or an orange light?

A green light means it's receiving a signal.

Gongoozler 10:26 03 Nov 2003

dazza39, do you get the POST beep and BIOS screens. Does your computer get as far as loading the startup floppy? Does your BIOS recognise the hard drive?

choffe 10:36 03 Nov 2003

i agree. you need to look at your bios settings to see if the hdd is recognised
if so, it may be worth re-installing windows.choose UPGRADE or REPAIR at the appropriate point of install, that way you don't loose any programs that you have installed
sometimes the hdd can loose the windows boot sector, and this is totally recoverable, so i hope that this is the problem.
also, it may be worth looking in your bios menues for any cache settings. disable these as these are the likely culprit for any boot sector glitches.

dazza39 11:37 03 Nov 2003

Gongoozler i do get as far as the boot floppy,also "searching for IDE 01" then that's it no further when into BIOS can see the hdd showing in there?.Monitor is fine green LCD.

choffe 13:30 03 Nov 2003

it may be worth setting your hdd as first boot and floppy as 2nd, may be a faulty floppy.

dazza39 14:42 03 Nov 2003

thanks choffre will try that later,something i did try was re-installing windows,but the setup was treated it as a new install rather than install on existing????

dazza39 17:13 03 Nov 2003

Choffe,thanks for the advice changed the boot up sequence and it worked.Thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie