Black oblong in centre of screen

jessej 21:51 15 Jul 2006

The last two times I have ran the Error Checking tool (CHK/DSK) when it finished it left a black oblong in the centre of the screen stretching almost the full screen width and approx. 3" deep. The only way I could get rid of it was by restarting, then everything back to normal. The only things I can think of is that the monitor is on the blink, or the graphics card. I am hoping somebody can tell me otherwise please.

2nd little question, has anyone had a problem downloading updates for SpyBot this week? I tried yesterday, and 2 or 3 times today and all I am getting is the message "Socket Error #11004".

skidzy 22:09 15 Jul 2006

When you have spybot open check for updates by clicking on the box next to search for updates,this will give you different options like safernetworking etc.
Sorry no idea at the moment on the oblong,will try some searching for you.

Ollyolly 11:22 16 Jul 2006

I updated Spybot yesterday using safernetworking 2 and had no problems.

jessej 13:51 16 Jul 2006

Thanks for your replies re: SpyBot. Maybe I was a wee bit premature, tried again today and it worked without any bother. It was the first time I've seen this message, and to get it 2 days running made me wonder if something had gone wrong, either with my computer or SpyBot's server.

To return to the main query about the black oblong.
Something else has occurred to me. While doing various things quite often part of a page remains on the screen after I have clicked on the red X. I think maybe the best example I can come up with just now is if I am doing anything which prompts an alert message from Zone Alarm, after clicking on Allow or Deny, as the case may be, part of the alert message remains overlapping whatever it is I am looking at or trying to do. Usually I have to go back to square one, closing everything, before I can get rid of it. The worst it has been was when I had tto restart to get rid of the overlapping item.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?