Black font on one laptop prints grey on another!

SheilaB 19:21 26 Apr 2004

Both my laptop and my husband's are running Word 2003. I'm running on Windows XP, he's on Windows 2000. We use the same template - both are set to Verdana 10 black font as standard. On my laptop that's what you see and what you get on screen and from the printer.

Since he upgraded to Word 2003, if I take a file to his laptop (with the same template) it's showing and printing in grey, though the font still thinks it's black. It's a nuisance as it means that if we have a tight deadline we can't use both laptops to print ....

Can't figure this one out at all .... I've tweaked and twiddled templates, settings - doesn't seem to change it - can it be a Windows 2000 thing? It was OK on Word 98.

Sheila B

matt1234 20:01 26 Apr 2004

try using your printer on ur hasbends computer

wee eddie 21:26 26 Apr 2004

Do you mean the Printer settings

SheilaB 22:25 26 Apr 2004

I don't think this is a printer problem - the font on my husband's laptop LOOKS grey in appearance as well as printing grey. Maybe it's something to do with Word 2003 and Windows 2000. I'll uninstall Office 2003 and reinstall Office 98 and see what happens ....
Sheila B

Wak 08:43 27 Apr 2004

At the side of the Font Settings (next to the B, I, and U) there may also an icon which allows you to change the colour of the font. Has this been accidentally changed to GREY????
Just a thought!

wee eddie 10:35 27 Apr 2004

Un-installation definitely OTT.

There are most likely settings that are different.

SheilaB 15:00 27 Apr 2004

Just to confirm that the font that looks and prints grey IS set at black.

wee eddie 17:23 27 Apr 2004

Check the display settings

SheilaB 14:57 28 Apr 2004

Which "display settings" do you mean?

stlucia 15:12 28 Apr 2004

Just a thought, you say you're using "Verdana 10 black": Do you mean that, or is it "Verdana" from the drop-down list of fonts, with bold switched on? The reason I ask is that my copy of Word doesn't have a "Verdana black" font, so could it be that it's an extra font on one of your systems and Word is substituting "Verdana" when it can't find it on the other machine?

SheilaB 15:47 28 Apr 2004

It's "Verdana" from the drop down list of fonts with bold switched on .....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?