Bizarre Yahoo email problem - virus?

Pineman100 11:25 06 Jun 2008

A friend runs XP SP2 and uses Yahoo for her email. She has recently started suffering from a strange problem - here's her explanation of it:

"I have discovered that from time to time, when I try to send an email, it disappears somewhere. I then find it again, but the subject line has changed, and has some completely random phrase in it.

One email that I just tried to send ended up with the subject line "No me pidas un beso mientras como mi hotdog" (not speaking Spanish I don't know what that means - I hope it's not filth). Another suddenly had the subject line "General Apathy", which I never put there.

I have run a full virus scan of my computer, which found nothing."

Has anyone else suffered from this? Can anyone explain it, please?

johnnyrocker 11:48 06 Jun 2008

malware scans?

johnny

Pineman100 17:21 06 Jun 2008

What are those? How would my friend get rid of them?

PGlad 17:27 06 Jun 2008

I think johnnyrocker means that you should run a malware scan not get rid of one!

It's obvious that your friend has a virus or trojan infection, and some anti-virus programmes are better than others at detecting them. Is the anti-virus programme you are using up to date and which one is it?

As for doing a malware scan, Microsoft have a 'malicious software removal tool' which is designed to tackle this kind of problem. I presume thay have a version of this for XP and you can download it from the Microsoft Update site.

crosstrainer 17:31 06 Jun 2008

Get your freind to download, update and run:

click here

click here

And make sure antivirus software is up to date.

Pineman100 09:59 10 Jun 2008

Further reasearch has revealed that (and I'm simply reporting what I've trawled on the internet - no personal experience) no malware is involved.

Apparently the latest version of Yahoo's email software has a random subject generator built into the the "Subject" button. You click it, and it pops a randomly generated subject line into that field.

I can hear you asking, "what's the use of that?"

Don't ask me - seems ridiculous!

Can anyone confirm this, and explain its purpose?

Many thanks again to everyone who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?