A bit of a problem with a PB laptop...

Nightowl4933 16:23 30 Jul 2009

I've been asked to help rebuild a PB laptop. I do have the original recovery disks and have got the boot floppy. However, when prompted for the serial number, it gives an error and won't let me recover the system. The disks are definitely genuine and are for the laptop.

The problem started when the owner tried a re-install with the wrong disks, and as far as I can tell everything else is OK because I used an old XP disk to prove the system. This would be a satisfactory result, but I can't identify what laptop it is to try and locate the appropriate drivers for the video card (reported as an ATI Radeon III when I run debug in a dos box) - which is an issue.

I think this laptop is a refurb, but this shoulldn't make any difference to the hardware installed.

I'd appreciate any help with this: I'm beginning to pull my hair out :-(

Pete

lotvic 23:19 30 Jul 2009

might be something to help on click here parckardbell.com

feb 01:33 31 Jul 2009

There should be a white label on the underside with a P/N serial number and a model name.

Taff™ 07:22 31 Jul 2009

Use Belarc Advisor to get the numbers click here and then try the PC World product support site to see if it`s listed there. click here={b75605fc-8bba-4b9e-b36d-0ce03e393eef}&CatID={35018f4e-8628-4894-8e62-281ce71d916d} and click on the Product Support image at the top right.

Taff™ 07:31 01 Aug 2009

That link doesn`t work again! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?