A bit of a Luddite...

Diemmess 17:06 03 Feb 2007

Have been reading all recent posts about changing from FAT32 to NTFS and the advantage/disadvantages of this.

Long after many had moved to XP, and forced by new replacement hardware to change from 98SE to 2000.
I stayed with FAT32 and liked the much better 2000 system.

Now another snag has popped up.
A cap of 4Gb on file copying for an image backup!

At present 2 internal and one external HD, plus CDR and DVD facilities.

Am in the process of building a replica of Primary HD (NTFS) with partitions to allow multiple systems as at present.
One user one computer, no need for extra security.

Can I leave not only the external HD as FAT32 for data backup, but at least one partition on the second HD as FAT32?

A >4GB image (of an NTFS drive) is probably the deciding factor for me?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 03 Feb 2007

Can I leave not only the external HD as FAT32 for data backup, but at least one partition on the second HD as FAT32?

Yes

Alot of off the shelf systems with only one HDD have the op system 0n C: partition in NTFS and a backup ghost image on D: partition in FAT32 so a DOS boot disk can "see" the D: drive and reinstall the image to C:

Diemmess 17:30 03 Feb 2007

Your reply makes sense.
It makes me wonder if my question does!
I shall have to think hard to avoid a mish-mash of everything in the wrong format!

At present I'm waiting delivery of a couple of trays for swapping the Primary HD so that I can meddle with the new rather than a working system.

If I attempt an image file (from NTFS), will a >4GB image be refused if saved to a FAT32 drive?

Diemmess 17:23 04 Feb 2007

When those HD caddies are in my hands I shall be able to have 'sessions' with either system which will soon show what can/cannot be done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017