Bit Locker Drive in Win7

bessiebup 15:00 15 Jan 2014

Bit Locker Drive in Windows 7. Should this be there? It encrypts drives in some areas so you cannot enter. It says you can use the drive generally but this encryption is there to stop unauthorised access. I have also noticed there is a software listed in my drive. I do not know if I installed it. But it asks for password and then goes on to block some of my files like videos. What's all this, can someone explain please. Liza

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 15 Jan 2014

What version of W7 do you have?

See here for Bitlocker it is a legit program.

bessiebup 14:11 16 Jan 2014

Thank you for your reply. Windows7 came with my new Acer laptop in 2011. Last year in Sept I received with PC Advisor mag Bitdefender total security disk which I installed. I could not understand why my laptop was slow and also my clear.fi was playing havoc making it impossible for me to touch type (I am a touch typist). I also noticed my videos of my family were hidden under a password which after some months or so I found the dreadful password. I just could not figure out why I let myself do this. I nearly used my Acer factory installed disk so thus lose some important programs. Can you please advise me what to do. I want to get back to normal. I use the antimalware program to check for viruses so the laptop is clean. I typed this with one finger! Liza

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:52 16 Jan 2014

You must be logged on as an administrator and the volume must be encrypted.

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

2. From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

3. From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

4. You have either disabled BitLocker or decrypted the operating system volume.

The following resources provide additional information about BitLocker Drive Encryption: click here help with BitLocker Drive Encryption,choose one of the support options listed on the Microsoft Help and Support Web site

For

bessiebup 15:22 17 Jan 2014

Thank you Fruit Bit /\0/. Before I make use of your kind help I will check with Bit Defender. I think I have a 6 months trial so will tell them I do not wish to keep it. Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone