BIOS update messed up computer

s99Raj 22:44 27 Jun 2007

A friend has tried to update his BIOS, which he received by e-mail from the manufacturers of his motherboard, which is a P4M-915GPD1.

Now the computer won't start up properly. When you switch it on all you get is a long beep followed by two very quick short beeps (these beeps take about a second). Nothing appears on the monitor.

The computer won't start from floppy or CD; pressing any key on startup has no effect. Resetting the CMOS jumper on the motherboard has no effect.

Is there anything I can do to revive this m/b ?

skidzy 22:47 27 Jun 2007

Ouch !! the art of the bios,never really helps much but can render the mobo useless.

Looks like a new mobo Raj,sorry.

Strawballs 22:48 27 Jun 2007

click here

Don't know if this is any help?

s99Raj 22:48 27 Jun 2007

I'm thinking a new mobo also - one reason I never like to mess with BIOS updates, especially if the computer's working fine.

VoG II 22:48 27 Jun 2007

"which he received by e-mail from the manufacturers of his motherboard,"

Genuine e-mail?

Anyway, new CMOS at least needed if not new MB.

s99Raj 22:49 27 Jun 2007

I also thought it might be a video card error but a different working one gives the same result.

s99Raj 22:50 27 Jun 2007

As far as I'm aware the e-mail was genuine, but who knows?

How can I change the CMOS on the motherboard? Is it a soldering job?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 27 Jun 2007

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information

Remove BIOS battery for 30 mins refit and retry

umbongo(uk) 23:37 27 Jun 2007

1 .are you using the on board graphix to display

2. use a graphix card if you have one what happens when you do ?

3.can you get into the bios on start up by pressing delete key

woodchip 23:54 27 Jun 2007

CMOS chip plugs into a Socket on the Motherboard. A new Mobo may be nearly as cheap. Depend on the MOBO

umbongo(uk) 06:31 28 Jun 2007

having more time to read post

the only fix would be a bios hot swap
this is tricky proceduce and could corrupt the second bios chip i do not advise this to novices

google::bios hot swap there are lots of posts over the web

or you can geta new bios chip usualy they will ask for the motherboard and replace this in shop so to speak
one such enterprise
click here
or rma the board back to the manufacturers and they will sort it out ,after you send then an email about the details ie bios was wrong before you contacted them and they sent u a new bios via email
you followed the bios update routine to the letter on their website but the results are not what was expected be etremely pleasent to them they usualy either fix it or replace it it will cost you postage and packing + time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?