Bios update during new PC build

Jem 23:31 12 Jun 2007

Following lots of advice I have finally got to the stage where I have switched on my rebuilt PC for the first time. It worked!

I know from earlier research about my new (ECS KV2 lite) m/b that my next step is to flash update the existing bios so it will recognise my AMD dual core processor and have downloaded the update utility (AWD865) and new bios file onto a DOS bootable floppy as advised by the website.

Following the instructions (see: click here) I have the option to save a copy of the existing bios. However when it tries to store this on the floppy (the bootable one) it runs out of room.

My question is: Can I take the bootable floppy out and put another disk in (to hold the "old bios" copy in the middle of this operation? or will this risk fouling up the successful update? Sorry if this seems a daft question but am clear I don't want to foul things up now. If not sure I guess I can just select the option to go ahead without saving a copy of the old file.

Thanks!

Stuartli 23:45 12 Jun 2007

Why not save it on a separate floppy, just in case?

Jem 23:58 12 Jun 2007

Good idea. How do I do that?

Jem 00:00 14 Jun 2007

Solution:

You can use a separate floppy for the boot disk and the disk with the flash update programme (AWD865, in my case) + bew bios file. You just put the boot disk in first then when the PC is in DOS, you remove it and put the 2nd floppy in with the flash + new bios files. Worked a treat!

ashdav 01:06 14 Jun 2007

Strongly suggest you read this click here and follow the first post to the letter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?