Bios update

skell 18:01 04 Jan 2006

Im thinking about updating my bios and not sure of the right update so need some help if possible

system details are

Gigabyte k8npro motherboard, 64AMD Clawhammer 3200 cpu,

link ive found shows 2 possible Bios updates, which one is correct for me?

click here

click here

Thx.

Diodorus Siculus 18:04 04 Jan 2006

1 - do you need to update the BIOS? If not necessary, then don't do it.

2 - have you looked at GigByte's live update feature?

Diodorus Siculus 18:05 04 Jan 2006

Gigabyte @BIOS Instructions
click here

@BIOS
click here

Diodorus Siculus 18:05 04 Jan 2006

Gigabyte @BIOS Instructions
click here

@BIOS
click here

Skills 18:21 04 Jan 2006

Be very careful updating the BIOS unless it has to be done I would not recommend anyone doing it. If the update fails you end up with a useless motherboard.

skell 18:52 04 Jan 2006

I need to update the Bios becuase i would like to add more ram and i have been told i need to update the bios for it to recognize correctly.

About @bios: i have read that it is wise not to use that coz it can be unstable. i can use the Qflash.

The one thing i need to know though is which of the two updates shown in the links i need for my system. im not quite clear on what the difference is with the two .

many thx.

Stuartli 19:01 04 Jan 2006

Some Gigabyte mobos can be Bios updated via its website - the installation is automatic and a copy of the original Bios is retained (just in case).

Unfortunately my Gigabyte board is a little too old to qualify now...:-(

Diodorus Siculus 20:14 04 Jan 2006

That's the @Bios that I've suggested above - I've used it a number of times and it is effective. To be honest, I'd prefer the GigaByte option than a third party utility. If it was not stable, I think GigaByte would no longer be using it.

skell 17:47 05 Jan 2006

thx. i'll give that a go then . it looks easy enough so fingers crossed.

thx again.

Stuartli 17:55 05 Jan 2006

To be honest I haven't bothered with the latest update to my Gigabyte mobo's Bios - it runs fine at present with the original - because, if I had installed it, one of the requirements was that I would have to do a complete reinstall of XP....:-)

skell 18:01 05 Jan 2006

hmmm... so your saying i will have to re-install xp if i download the new Bios? my ram doesnt work with the bios i have at present. this is not good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone