Bios Restore factory settings.

birdface 10:44 20 Jun 2010

Just a quicky.
Using this method in the Bios does it just change the Bios settings or the whole computer and if so would I loose all programs installed since.
It just says ,
This option allows you to reset every option back to the way it was when the system left the factory.
I presume it does what it says and restores the whole computer.

Atlantic Man 10:52 20 Jun 2010

Hi

No- when you restore cmos\bios settings it only restores changes made in the cmos enviroment, all data is located on your hard-drive space, and has nothing to do with bios information- CMOS settings gets stored in an onboard-chip.

So if you restore optimal settings it will correct harware changes made in the cmos setup- these changes( if changed-not knowing ) can cause hardware damage to the CPU and RAM- also can screw up your chipset addresses- which is not good @ all.

I recommend " Restore Optimal Defualts "- save and exit.

cheers

birdface 11:38 20 Jun 2010

Ok thanks for the information I just thought that looks usefull but obviously not.
It is an old computer and I do not normally go into the Bios but thought that I would try and see what was on it.
I had some problems with it about 3 weeks ago and got some good advice on here on how to fix it using the Bios so now I was just curious as to what else there was on it.
Thanks for getting back to me.
I shall leave it as it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?