bios problem

phonix_monkey 21:47 22 Sep 2005

HI,

My PC just doesnt loadup and asks to insert media into a:

awdflash.exe.

So ive downloaded a awdflash and now it loads up an award flash 8.03 but says "SOURCE FILE UNKNOWN"

what file is it after??

Im stuck on this one...

cheers

lee

MAJ 22:05 22 Sep 2005

It seems to be searching for a BIOS update, you don't want to do that. What happened to cause this problem, what were you doing just before this happened? Check that none of your Keyboard's keys are stuck down.

phonix_monkey 22:37 22 Sep 2005

well it all started when I installed win XP 2005 I think a corupted copy from thailand and it started to restart my com and just freeze up and now it wont even boot up and just asks for a: media...awd.flash.exe....

any clues???

MAJ 23:14 22 Sep 2005

Well to get to awdflash from the boot up screen, you have to press a certain (or a combination of) key/s, that's what made me think of a stuck key or two, try another keyboard to rule out that possibility. Also make sure you don't have a floppy disk in the floppy drive. The best solution is to dump the iffy XP CD and load a proper legit version of Windows.

SANTOS7 23:18 22 Sep 2005

The "best" solution is to dump the iffy XP CD and load a proper legit version of Windows.
The "only"solution is to dump the iffy XP CD and load a proper legit version of Windows.

phonix_monkey 10:04 23 Sep 2005

yes yes, but how do I get away from this bios screen that keeps coming up at start up.

insert a: media...

woodchip 10:11 23 Sep 2005

suggest start with a boot disc click here depends on what your Operating System was and format the drive and reload Original OS

phonix_monkey 12:19 25 Sep 2005

searches for a: media at boot up ...but its not interested it just wants:

awdflash.exe file

what now?
where can i get a awdflash.exe file and new bios?

ive got a Jetway V266A motherboard with VIA
1.8Mhz AMD ATHLON

DieSse 12:27 25 Sep 2005

The BIOS itself would not normally ask for this - it's probably something on the hard drive that's sending the message.

Can you confirm what is the setting for the first boot device in the BIOS please. Make sure it's NOT the floppy drive. Tell us if things change or not.

phonix_monkey 12:31 25 Sep 2005

i cant remember , and i cant get into bios to check...i think its

1st- a:
2nd - cd
3rd ide0

shall i format the harddrive?

DieSse 12:33 25 Sep 2005

"and i cant get into bios to check"

Why not?

"shall i format the harddrive?"

Probably a good idea - at least it'll help tell us where the problem lies - , but you'll have to do so in another system I presume?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires