Bios Password

stevediggo 21:35 23 Apr 2010

I dont know if this can be done but urgent help needed.

MSI U90 NETBOOK RUNNING WINDOWS XP ALL STANDARD FEATURES.
The problem is this netbook was purchesed from a 2nd hand store for my daughters school work, and someone has managed to put a windows password on it, which no one is admitting to knowing it, we have all the disks required to re install it all, but alas we need to put the external hard drive on it, but to do this we need to enter the set up in the BIOS so it boots from the DVD drive and yes you have guessed it the BIOS is password protected so that is my question how do we diable the password or is there a generic one (SKELETON KEY)please help so i thank you all in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 23 Apr 2010
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 23 Apr 2010

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:39 23 Apr 2010

Reset password for Windows XP by hitting f8 at bootup, select safe mode, at logon, go to the admin account, hit enter, and the password is now reset.

Just press and hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice while the Welcome Screen is displayed.

Type in "Administrator" as the username, and leave the password field blank

If someone created a password for the built-in administrator account, this wont work!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?