bios not recognising processor

KPC 15:47 27 Dec 2005

Got a asus k8v-mx board and sempron 2600+ processor. Upgraded pc this morning. Everything working but it will not recognise processor and says bios needs updating. On the Asus site there is an update 0203 that says it is to recognise new cpu. i have downloaded it and extracted to floppy. it says invalid disk so copy cant be correct.

daxian 16:00 27 Dec 2005

hi KPC......
had a similar experience last week ....
what o\s you running?.....the disk for updating the bios needs to be formatted in dos and you cant make a dos floppy from xp ,you will need to find someone who has win 98 ,to make a floppy for you ....hope this helps ....Dave.

KPC 16:08 27 Dec 2005

os is xp. Cannot understand its that hard. You buy a asus board compatible with sempron processor and the damn thing dont recognise it. You download the bios update and cannot find anything that will help you copy correctly to a floppy. Which board and processor do you have and when you started the computer for the first time, what was the error message.

daxian 16:18 27 Dec 2005

hi KPC...
mine was a pc chips with a sempron 3000 ,and the message was the same as yours "bios does not recognise cpu see manufacturer for update "
trouble is if you dont have a spare cpu then you cant flash the bios anyway .
the only way i could get mine working was to fit a spare cpu (that the board did recognise )then get someone to make a dos floppy..flash the bios ....then fit the new cpu .
the other option is to take it to the shop you bought it from and ask if they can do it for you ....or change it for one that does "see"" the cpu ......Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?