bios is not reading cpu speed correctly

mech1356 20:48 18 Oct 2004

can anyone please help,I have a jetway N2PAP-ultra motherboard with an athlon xp 2600 processor fitted in my computer.on post test it has always said it was a 2600,but now it tells me it is only a 1250.the computer seems to be working alright,and if i check in windows it says the correct speed.im not sure but i think it started when i installed sp2. i have run magic bios that came with motherboard.but it cannot connect with website to update bios.would be most grateful for any assistance

JonnyTub 20:52 18 Oct 2004

what chipset does your board use?

Dorsai 20:53 18 Oct 2004

It should run at about 1800Mhz....click here=

When you boot up, what Mhz is the BIOS saying?

PA28 21:00 18 Oct 2004

Have a look at Advanced Chipset features/setup in your BIOS - make sure that the FSB frequency is set correctly. Default settings can fail safe after boards have been reset - take heart that my Athlon 3200 downgraded itself to an 1100mhz model after having to reset the BIOS, but it was an easy tweak to get it back on form. Your computer will be running ever-so-reliable on present settings, but it will also be running slowly.

JonnyTub 21:15 18 Oct 2004

click here there are known issues about incorrect reporting of amd processor speeds. A bios update usually resolves this. (tread carefully)

The correct speeds for 2600 athlons are found click here of which there are 3 variations, that's two thoroughbreds and one with a barton core.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?