bios help

nuke 21:03 04 Nov 2006

Hello, I recently did a BIOS 'update' since I was having trouble (so I thought) with the previous BIOS.

The Bios I updated to was Halley BIOS version 3.1 (actual board
MSI MS-6340M) from:

click here

But my motherboard was replaced with the same board but was version 5.
See:
click here

Since updating the BIOS I keep getting:
' CMOS Checksum Bad
F2 to Return Setup
F1 to load default values and continue'

I get into Bios and save changes but once I restart I get the above again and computer goes back to bios.

I have cleared the CMOS numerous times by changing the jumper settings and back, changed the CMOS battery to a new one as well leaving it out overnight.

But it still makes no difference.

Also I get ( when I change jumpers and back - to reset CMOS and get into BIOS and changes settings):

' Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A
Press any key when ready'

When I press any key, I get the above back: the floppy doesn't read;

Further I have no IRQ 6 in the bios menu therefore I conclude this is the reason floppy isn't reading. I'm trying to reflash the bios to the msi version (as above) which will work.

When I restart my pc it automatically goes back into BIOS (so long as I don't reset CMOS).
But when I do clear the cmos I get the checksum bad etc and the above problems again and again.

Can someone please give me a remedy. The bios chip is not faulty; i'm sure of that.

Thanks.

PS: thier is no BIOS recovery jumper for my motherboard since it is ver 5; althought there was one for Ver 3.

Also I can't hot flash since the bios is soldered onto the motherboard.

octal 21:10 04 Nov 2006

Silly question, have you checked the battery?

nuke 22:13 04 Nov 2006

I've put in a new battery.

woodchip 22:36 04 Nov 2006

So youdid not backup theOld BIOS when it asked you to? If they have old BIOS on the site download it and do it again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone