BIOS flash

vliety 13:54 18 May 2004

If I knew my BIOS for my motherboard is it possible to download the latest flash BIOS for this? is this advisable?

Stuartli 13:59 18 May 2004

It is, but it's risky if you don't know what you are doing.

If your system is working as it should, best leave well alone...:-)

Methods vary and may include having to remove/repace a motherboard jumper - the manual will describe exactly what is to be done.

A bios update(s) will be listed on your motherboard manufacturer's website; it may well list the benefits of installing it, perhaps for switching to a more recent and faster processor.

vliety 14:03 18 May 2004

I have never received a manula for my mother board, do you just go to the dealers site and just download one?

Stuartli 14:10 18 May 2004

Well you could.....

But what the outcome would be if you tried to install it is unclear...:-)

If you find out what your motherboard is using Aida32, Belarac or even System Information from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools, more help should be forthcoming.

But I repeat - unless it is absolutely necessary then leave well alone.

WARNING!!

Every now and then a message appears on this forum asking how to flash your BIOS. Most warn against it unless there is a REAL need to do so. Later that day a message appears saying they flashed their BIOS and now nothing works....one new motherboad required.

Unless you have a 100% need to flash the BIOS most people would say don't bother. Even the mobo manufactures sites say its a risky business.

Dr Lecter 16:36 18 May 2004

Really depends on why you need to flash your BIOS. I only done it so that my mobo is XP aware.
Depending on the make of yor BIOS ie Award / AMi as well.Normally you have to download the flash to floppy then follow instructions. But unless you know what you are doing i wouldn`t recommend it , cos a slight glitch/ or error will make your MOBO a piece of useless electronics.

Stuartli 17:42 18 May 2004

My Elite P6BXT-A+ motherboard is five years old and has never had the Bios updated, nor needed it doing.

During that time I've had Windows 98, 98SE and now XP Pro.

Even if I got a faster CPU than my Celeron 400MHz, I could only go up to about a Celeron 800MHz or a Slot1 Pentium of around the same speed (the board was the first to have both Socket 370 and Slot1 capability).

Doubling the RAM makes a far greater difference for the type of work I do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?