bios clock problem

rien 15:01 18 Nov 2006

O/S Winxp
Asus P5LD2 SE motherboard

When I shut the computer down and switch off the power at the wall plug, on a restart the clock gives the time and date of the last shut down.
Adjusting the time in bios and saving seems to make no difference.

When I shut down but leave the power switched on the restart gives the correct time.

I have replaced the battery but it seems to have made no difference.

I have three computers but this one is the only one which gives this problem.

Any answers please?

ed-0 15:08 18 Nov 2006

Reseat the bios battery and try again.

If that does not work, you may have a duff battery
or the circuit that sends the power to the cmos is damaged.

When you have the mains lead into the computer with the mains power socket switched on. It still sends power through the motherboard even if the computer is turned off. So this power by-passes the bios battery and keeps the bios ticking over.

So it must be a duff battery, not inserted properly or a damaged bit of circuitry.

freaky 15:34 18 Nov 2006

Got a similar problem.....in very cold weather on booting up in the morning the clock has lost time.

I then set the clock to the correct time by right clicking on the toolbar clock, all OK until the next cold spell. Obviously the CMOS battery hates the cold !

rien 19:26 18 Nov 2006

Thanks for the quick replies to my bios clock problem. I have come to the conclusion that there must be a circuit fault on the motherboard. As the computer is still in warranty I shal contact the builder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?