BIOS

tonyt1151 18:11 16 Jan 2008

I have just installed a memory upgrade from Crucial. I asked them if I needed to alter any BIOS settings and got the following reply -"You should not have to change any settings in your BIOS, however ensuring you have the latest version of your BIOS is installed would do no harm." My question is how do I check this and what if anything do I do to alter it if needed. One other question.Can the BIOS be accessed once the PC is running or must it be done at the boot stage?

octal 18:16 16 Jan 2008

I upgrade the BIOS on my sons lappy and it was really easy, I just downloaded the exe file from the HP site and ran it, but I think it depends on what system you are using.

Fingees 18:21 16 Jan 2008

I wouldn't touch the bios unless for a particular reason, like something not working due to upgrade being needed.

I have flashed many bios, but if it goes wrong., it can render the motherboard useless.

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

All the best.

SANTOS7 18:22 16 Jan 2008

I have just installed a memory upgrade from Crucial...

You do not say if your PC has recognised the new memory and if your PC is running OK, if it is there is no need for any BIOS update...

If you do decide to do this extreme caution is needed, if a bios update goes wrong it can render your PC useless...

tonyt1151 18:25 16 Jan 2008

SANTOS7
No problems so far. I guess I will leave well alone. What about question re accessing bios

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 16 Jan 2008

Can the BIOS be accessed once the PC is running or must it be done at the boot stage?

done at boot stage.

All you will read in BIOS is memory size and speed.
If you "overclock" the speed it may well burn out the memory.

Fingees 18:42 16 Jan 2008

on boot up when your machine first starts, a message usually appears saying to enter bios press, and tells you what key.

Usually it's delete, or F2, or F10 or even escape.

This will open the bios pages

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?